A food gift is nice to give and nice to receive. Many food gifts are foods and brands only seen around holidays or special occasions, and many have special memories and traditions associated with them. Unfortunately, many of these food gifts are very high in sodium. There are definite challenges when trying to give a food gift to someone on a low sodium diet. Whether this diet is from health issues, or perhaps the person is choosing to eat healthier.
What are some gift ideas especially food gifts for these folks on a low sodium diet?
First, realize that folks on a low sodium diet must eat at home most of the time. No going out to restaurants or eating fast food, at least not very often. No traditional snacks like cheese and crackers, sausages or hams, as they are high in sodium. This eliminates many of the more traditional food gift baskets and food gifts.
Since these folks do eat at home they could use gifts that add flavor as they are always looking for ways to have more flavorful food. Here are some unique gift ideas.
Low Sodium Food Gift Ideas:
- Extra virgin olive oil: A bottle or a collection of 2 or 3 different extra virgin olive oils. These could be from the US perhaps California, or countries like Italy, Greece, Spain, etc. Olive oils are flavorful, heart healthy, and every country or state tastes different.
- Nut oils are very unique food gifts: walnut oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, etc. Nut oils add a lot of flavor and you don’t need much.
- Fresh nuts: Walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc., in the shell (this will also give them something to do and you could include a nutcracker) or out of the shell. Make sure they are unsalted. Or choose an assortment of unsalted shelled nuts.
- Vinegars: There are so many kinds. Choose a bottle or several bottles of herb vinegars like tarragon vinegar, or wine vinegars such as sherry vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, and of course, there is a huge range of balsamic vinegars.
- Dried mushrooms: There are many varieties with each having a different flavor such as: porcini, shitake, morels, chantarelles, portabellas, crimini, oyster, wood ear, cloud ear, champignon, and many more. These can be used all year, not just when they are in season.
- Wood chips: hickory, mesquite, apple, citrus, etc., these add a lot of flavor to a barbecue, smoker or grill.
- Citrus trees: A lemon tree would be a very unique gift, as lemons are used a lot on a low sodium diet. Also look for varieties of, lime, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, etc. There are also dwarf citrus trees for small spaces.
- Herb gardens: An indoor herb garden would be a very unique gift idea. Or select herb plants or seeds for an outdoor herb garden. Even a book about herbs or growing herb gardens. This could also be a vegetable garden.
- Salt-free seasonings are especially important to anyone on a low sodium diet. Seasonings are the key to a flavorful low sodium diet. The more variety the better.
If possible, get a variety or an assortment of the food gift so there is something for every taste. This improves your chances of the gift being used and enjoyed. Everyone’s taste buds are different and taste buds do change.
Gift ideas like these, help folks on a low sodium diet learn different ways to cook and experience new flavors. Choose a food gift which helps achieve more flavorful food and makes cooking and eating a low sodium diet, easier and more enjoyable. Hopefully, you now have many unique, low sodium food gift ideas.