Often a vegetarian diet is not low sodium. Especially when using processed foods like vegetarian cheese, soups, salad dressings, etc.
You will find listed here different types of vegetarian diets.
- Vegetarians – Do not eat meat but the most popular vegetarian diet eat both dairy products and eggs.
- Pescetarian – also called pesco-vegetarian eat fish but no other type of meats.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarians – eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
- Lacto-vegetarians – eat dairy products but avoid eggs.
- Ovo-vegetarians – do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.
- Vegans – do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals often including honey, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin.
- Restricted SOS Vegans – follow the SOS diet. No salt, No oil, and No sugar.
- More restricted Sofas vegans – follow the SOFAS diet, No salt, No oil, No fats, No alcohol, and No sugar.
- Flexitarian – a newer term – mostly vegetarian but occasionally eat meat – (a pollo-vegetarian, a pesco-vegetarian, and a lacto-ovo-vegetarian) is someone who will not eat the flesh of any red meat mammals but does include chicken, turkey, and other poultry. They may or may not also exclude fish, seafood or products like eggs and dairy from their diet.
- Pollo-pescetarian – this diet is similar to a flexitarian diet, with the added restriction that you eat only poultry, fish and seafood. To comfortably progress to this diet, start by replacing all red meats with poultry, fish, and seafood.
- Raw Vegan – Raw foodism (or following a raw food diet) is the dietary practice of eating only, or mostly, uncooked, unprocessed foods. Depending on the philosophy, or type of lifestyle and the desired results, a few raw food diets include a selection of raw fruits, raw vegetables, raw nuts, raw seeds, and sometimes raw legumes, raw grains, raw eggs, raw fish, raw meat, and raw dairy products are included in the diet.
- Fruitarian – a person who lives on fruit.